Is Your Bedroom Toxic?
From my personal experience I know if I had to choose just one room in my home to make it environmentally friendly, it’s my bedroom. I am sure you also think this way.
Transforming your bed into heaven can have a tremendous impact on improving your sleep and well being. And the good news is turning out an eco-friendly bedroom is pretty simple.
Just Sleep on Non-Toxic Mattress and wake up refreshed.
It’s legit to worry were More than 90% of the mattresses made up with toxic chemicals! Let me take a wild guess; you are also searching for healthy mattress choices.
You also check our mattress buying guide tips and technique.
Keep reading, and you will find out all the answer.
What is a Non-Toxic Mattress?
No wonder nontoxic is skyrocketing in popularity. Organic and Natural mattresses are just what they sound like. The main difference is in the construction.
Why am I saying this?
Well, the construction of most of the materials is made up of organic components such as cotton and wool. That’s why it is also called Organic Mattress.
So what is an organic mattress?
Organic mattresses are normally made from GOLS certified natural latex foam as an extra support layer and topped with organic wool to firm it up and covered in certified organic cotton.
Organic Vs. Non-Toxic vs. Eco-Friendly
Organic mattresses are manufactured by blending natural and non-toxic materials like organic cotton, organic wool, and organic latex.
Watch out for labels claiming for the mattress are:
- Soy foam
Why will you choose a non-toxic mattress?
Yes, a million-dollar question why you will spend an extra penny on the nontoxic mattress.
The maximum mattresses on the market contain dangerous chemicals. That means you will breathe in these chemicals while you are sleeping. Reducing toxic chemicals is simply making a chance of healthy.
OK, I know what you’re thinking.
How can I get a healthy lifestyle by simply change the mattress material?
Then check out the List of Mattress Toxins:
- Flame Retardants: These chemicals are used in mattresses which have been widely banned in different countries for its harmful impact.
- Boric Acid: Widely used to prevent bacteria growth from living in the mattress.
- Glues or Adhesives: Adhesives and Solvent-based glues can contain up to 48 types of toxic chemicals.
- Formaldehyde: Long-term exposure may lead to serious health issues, like cancer.
- Synthetic Latex: Off-Gassing properties are also harmful to humans.
- Polyurethane Foam: The petroleum by-products, release a harmful toxin into the air.
- Antimony: It’s Similar to arsenic; this silent killer can cause serious health issues.
- Off-Gassing: It Occurs when VOC (volatile organic compounds) break down, omitting an odor.
Benefits of non-toxic mattress
Naturally Flame Resistant
An organic nontoxic mattress like latex mattresses does not require any use of harmful flame retardants. Instead, they use organic wool.
And you should know wool is the only fiber that has naturally flame resistant. However, its main component is a protein called keratin, and it’s challenging to ignite. Although wool may burn under severe fire, it usually self extinguishes.
Want a soft sinking feeling when you first lie down on the bed?
Then this option is for you. Yes, an organic mattress ensures ultimate comfort, followed by a supportive sensation. Due to the natural springiness, you feel incredibly comfortable.
The nontoxic latex mattress has a much longer life expectancy than typical synthetic mattresses. As a result, they do not break down as easily.
As I said earlier, Organic mattresses are made of natural textiles that are sturdy, flexible, and long-lasting.
On the other hand, Organic wool can be stretched up to 50% when wet and almost 30% when dry. The interesting part is it still bounce back to the original shape when its stress is released.thus, this flexibility of fibers make it more durable. As a result, organic latex mattresses can last for 20 years or more.
Extreme Support at Minimal Pressure
Organic bedding is very supportive. It is inherently supportive for your back and spine as well as minimizes pressure points.
How does it work?
Well, latex distributes pressure equally and evenly providing for smooth circulation. In the meantime, Organic wool has an abundance of air spaces that cushion the body and also alleviate pressure points. As a result, it helps to support the spine and distribute pressure for a night free of tension sound sleep.
Did you know that the allergic reaction can happen by the body’s reaction to proteins, normally produced by mold or dust mites?
Quite alarming, isn’t it?
Latex mattresses are totally natural resistant to dust mites and mold, so they do not contain these allergens. Therefore, if you are one of those who suffers from annoying year-round allergies, may get relief with an organic mattress.
Organic mattress components have an amazing innate ability to adjust body temperature.
The organic wool, organic cotton, and organic latex help your mattresses to stay warm in the cold and cool in the summer. Thus, these natural ingredients control body temperature by wicking away our body moisture. Especially, wool is considered as a natural temperature-regulating textile.
To Calmer heart rate for lower humidity to the skin, and gives for an optimal skin temperature that ensures for a great night.
Breakdown the downsides of Nontoxic/organic Mattresses
If you are considering an organic mattress, you must be aware of its disadvantages with the benefits. So let’s take a look at these.
- Only limited options and availability: As organic always have to maintain a certified organic and certain standard, only a few companies can meet the standard. As a result, you won’t find a wide variety on it.
- Pretty pricey: Organic mattresses tend to be more costly than a typical spring coil mattress or (PU) foam mattress. Therefore, this is a case where the extra bucks represent extra value.
- Heavy: Quite surprising I know, but yes it’s true. They are actually a bit heavier than regular memory foam.