The mattresses generally are used by everyone. From kids, adults, to the elderly, mattresses are designed for everyone. They are comfortable and will cut across the board. However, if you’ve got kids and pets, they could easily water the bed and leave your mattress full of unattractive smelly patches of stains.
While this may not come in as a surprise, many people find it quite challenging on how to get rid of the stains; but don’t you worry. In case you are wondering how to get urine out of the mattress, you’ve come to the right place. In this post, I will show you how simple removing urine stains can be, but first here is what you must know if you need the best results.
- Urine stains will set in fast. Therefore, the faster you act the better for you.
- All urine has uric acid in them. Use the enzyme-based solution to permanently wash it off.
Note: The enzyme-based solution will easily remove odors, bacteria, and acids out of your mattress. If you don’t want to use such a solution, it will be advisable to find products that are specifically made to treat urine stains caused by humans and pets.
How to Get Urine Stains Out Of Mattress
Like I have mentioned above, removing urine stains is no brainer. If done spontaneously, it would prove easier than any other mattress cleaning process. Nonetheless, here is the step by step guide on how to get urine smell out of mattress through cleaning it.
Identify the area with urine stains/ area where the urine has gone on. Get a cloth, paper towels, or dry napkin and blot up any excess urine that might have settled there and immediately strip your mattress.
Note: BLOT excess urine. DO NOT rub the urine stain all over the place. If you do this, you will spread the urine deep into your mattress.
Identify the affected area once you have stripped your mattress. Take baking soda and sprinkle over the affected area. This will help you in absorbing any remaining moisture. Wear protective gloves.
Make the right solution to help you clean the stain. Many experts recommend using a solution based on biological washing detergents. You can also use a mixture of white vinegar and warm water.
- Fill your solution in a spray bottle and give a light spray on the affected area.
- Let it sit there for about 3 – 5 minutes
- You can also use a commercial urine cleaner (make sure it is labeled urine cleaner).
Note: For commercial cleaners, it is advisable to go with the manufacturer’s tips. Additionally, you should read the mattresses label to ensure that you have the recommended product. This is especially very important if you have a favorite mattress of your own.
- Use a towel, dry cloth, or napkin to blot up any excess solution.
- Do this until the area is completely dry.
Note: This may not allow you to have the highest level of dryness. However, it will do a great job in ensuring that you get as much urine out of the mattress as possible. Remember, without the urine out, the smell could still sting your nostrils.
- Take your baking soda and sprinkle it all over the entire mattress.
- Give your mattress enough time to thoroughly dry up (usually 18 hours plus).
Note: When you have used commercial cleaners, you could easily choose to dry your mattress. However, baking soda is good at absorbing any form of moisture. You could just use it to make sure that your mattress gets rid of any moisture including remaining urine.
Vacuum up your mattress to remove the baking soda then put your mattress out or in a properly ventilated area. This should allow your mattress to dry well and retain the best air circulation while also doing away with any whiff of urine odor. This is also good for any mattress with additional plush or flocking.
Additional Urine Cleaning Tips
In order to give your mattress the best cleaning touch after urine stains, you’ll need to keep the following tips in mind while you clean your mattress.
- Follow instructions on the label if you are using commercial mattress stain removers.
- Make sure your commercial cleaner is labeled as urine cleaner.
- Always open up your windows for more ventilation and air circulation.
- Use enough stain-remover. Make sure it balances the amount of urine.
- Blotting up the mattress and drying it helps to prevent mold on the mattress.
Note: It is very important that you have the right tips for such an exercise. These tips will easily give you the best results in case your mattress has been urinated on. They will also make your work easier and pretty much enjoyable.
Protecting Your Mattress from Urine
There are many ways through which you can protect your regular and mattresses from urine. I sampled up a few to help you have the best experience.
- Buy waterproof protectors for your mattresses, pillows and duvets.
- Get mattress with subtle flocking plus waterproof flocking
- Go with zippered mattresses or fitted designs with breathable rags
- Use enough mattress covers and skirts.
- Train your kids and pets to not urinate in the bed (wake kids up along the night).
Now that you have an idea on clean your mattress of urine and also how to how to get urine smell out of mattress you can get prepared for such incidents in the future. You don’t have to worry or get too rigid with your loved ones, instead, just get prepared!